Uni-media journalists sharpen their pens with Semji to conquer Google
Press and website editor
Semji’s Top 3
- SEO optimization of existing and new content
- Identification of new topics to further enhance the subjects covered
- Winning positions and traffic
Uni-médias, a subsidiary of the Crédit Agricole Group, is a news and website publisher focusing on two areas: “Family/Health” (parents.fr, santemagazine.fr, dossierfamilial.com, momes.net) and “Lifestyle” (maisoncreative.com, regal.fr, detentejardin.com, detoursenfrance.fr). If each magazine has its own editorial team, the SEO strategy of all the websites is led by a single manager, Hamidou Diallo. He explains the advantage of working for a large media group: “By covering several areas and trades, the SEO-Content stakes are not limited to one website”.
I needed an internal solution for journalists to quickly become more autonomous in SEO. Semji Platform doesn’t replace their expertise, it makes it visible and valuable in the eyes of online users and Google.
Uni-médias is what we call a “large content producer”, ranging from digital, audio, visual and print media. Hamidou Diallo is well aware of the importance of optimizing the content visibility of the various media websites on Google and the challenge that this represents. “Since most of our audience comes from natural referencing, we are very conscious of the importance of SEO in our lead acquisition strategy. Being in a highly competitive industry, dominated by well-known news websites, we have to reach ambitious goals in terms of positions. “The first page of Google is no longer enough, the most important is being in the top 3 positions.
On top of that, there is another SEO complexity, related to this industry and which the group must deal with: the news. Indeed, making “hot” content visible requires quick publishing of reliable information. However, Uni-médias’ team of journalists is competing with large companies that have the means to produce more volume. As Hamidou Diallo points out, online news consumption goes fast: “You have to understand the difference between the Google News search engine and the traditional one. The lifespan of content for a given event is about 48 hours. So we try to approach the news differently. The manager adapts the strategy and relies on the strengths of the editorial teams: expertise. The approach is not only to be proactive in dealing with subjects but to go further in sharing information with cold content. “We are going to take a step back, deal with the subject in-depth, and find more in-depth answers for our audience. This position is consistent with Google’s goal of providing THE best information possible to online users.” We keep an eye out for every Google update. We have websites categorized as YMYL (Your Money Your Life) that cover topics related to family, health, economy, finance, etc., and for which Google has specific requirements. These requirements are referred to as E-A-T criteria (Expertise, Authoritativeness, Trustworthiness). To rank well, Google now requires more relevant and high-quality content.
It is essential to prove our expertise online, to involve specialists, to credit references in order to strengthen our authority and the reliability of our information.
In an industry where SEO is a decisive acquisition channel, Uni-médias chose Semji to highlight the expertise of its journalists, to provide the answers expected by their audience and to strengthen the authority of its websites for Google. “Our journalists come from the print media industry. Their profession has evolved with the rise of the Internet, as has the way audiences consume news. We have to adapt to new writing rules, and learn how to structure an article for the web in order to meet the expectations of online users and search engines”.
- Outperform competing news websites and generate more SEO traffic, especially for cold content (special reports, news stories, etc.)
- Enhance the expertise of journalists on the Internet, strengthen the authority and reliability (E-A-T criteria) of published content to optimize the SEO visibility of websites for Google and meet the expectations of online users.
- Raise awareness of good SEO practices among the internal team, especially among editors, and increase their ability to use this acquisition channel.
Semji’s added value is to combine the platform with SEO/Content Marketing support. SEO is not an exact science, so we need external professionals to review our strategy and readjust our action plan.
- SEO optimization of existing and new content on Uni-médias websites.
- Identification of the topics expected by online users with a high volume of searches, allowing to cover a topic from different perspectives and in-depth.
- Structure analysis of the articles of competing websites, recommendations to build a better plan and provide more relevant content to online users and Google.
- Improvement of the internal mesh to create a consistent topic cluster between articles.
- Checking the SEO quality of the content via Semji Platform’s Content Score.
- Training sessions for the editorial team in online writing, increasing the journalists’ SEO skills.
Semji Platform helps editorial teams accurately transcribe their expertise on the web and optimize the SEO visibility of their articles. “I needed an internal solution for journalists to quickly become more autonomous in SEO optimization. Semji Platform does not replace their expertise, it enhances it and makes it visible to online users and Google. It simplifies the documentation part and makes it easy to write content from scratch, to structure it, and to enrich it with keywords/topics. The platform not only brings traffic but also a true satisfaction for the writer when seeing that their article is a real success! “.
Content relevance is nowadays a very real issue on the web. COVID-19 news is proof of it. In this particular context, where much information is more or less true (fake news), it is more than essential to prove to online users and Google that the written content is reliable. To go further on this subject, discover Hamidou Diallo during a workshop organized by Semji: Covid-19, how to boost your digital marketing strategy?